Breakfast Is Served
This tasty recipe can be eaten any time of the day really, but I am sure will be more fitting for most people in the morning. Check it out.
Makes Approximately 4 servings
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups baby spinach
large handful of cherry tomatoes
6 strips of cooked bacon
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees
- mix 10 eggs and salt together and set aside
- In a 10-inch ovenproof pan placed over medium heat, drizzle some olive oil. Add the spinach and tomatoes and sauté until the spinach wilts and most of the moisture from the tomatoes evaporates. Add the bacon and sauté a few minutes more.
- Stir in eggs, keeping the pan on the burner just a few minutes for the eggs to set just a little, then transfer to the oven.
- Bake for around 30 minutes, until the eggs are solid inside. Done!
Why Lift Heavy?
In today’s modern world the majority of gym goers follow a protocol of high repetition sets, thinking the burn, or the pump is the way to achieve the body they want without understanding the true benefits associated with lifting heavy things. Here are just a few that you may not realize.
- Strengthening tendons- Not only will you get stronger muscles lifting heavy things you will get stronger tendons. Why is this important you ask? Well, our tendons are responsible for attaching muscles to bones, keeping everything intact. So whether you are an athlete or an average Joe, keeping your tendons healthy is a great benefit for your longevity.
- Better Hormonal Response- Lifting heavy in the gym does spark a great reaction in our bodies. What happens is when we lift heavy our bodies’ central nervous system kick starts the process for releasing testosterone and growth hormone, the two most important hormones for building lean muscle and burning body fat. Enough said.
- Maintain Healthy Bone Density- As we age our bone density tends to decrease. Lifting heavy weights can help you maintain healthy bone density as you age to help prevent osteoporosis. In fact one of the best exercises for elderly people to do is the deadlift.
Don’t Be Afraid
Most clients I deal with on a daily basis are scared of going heavy because they might hurt themselves. The truth is, as long as you are using proper form, injuries can be minimized and in most cases be eliminated from your training. Of course anyone that exercises knows that at some point in their lifting career they have had injuries, whether minor or major. For more information on how to set up a good strength training program contact us below and I will be happy to help you get started.
Here is an awesome dessert recipe to help satisfy that sweet tooth and not feel guilty.
Healthy Almond Joy Cheesecake
- 1/2 Cup Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 Tbsp Scoop Musclesport Whey Revolution Chocolate **about 3**
- 1/4 tsp Pure stevia(or sweetener of choice to taste)
- 2 TbspNatural almond butter**
- 1 Tbsp Unsweetened coconut flakes
In a small food processor blend the cottage cheese, protein powder, sweetener and 1 Tbsp of almond butter. I always layer them in that specific order, as I find it blends the best that way.
Process until well mixed and the cottage cheese is creamy and smooth. Note that the mixture is very thick, so you will have to stop the food processor and scrape down the sides a few times, and then keep blending until smooth.
Transfer the mixture into a small bowl and place into the freezer for 30 minutes – 1 hour to let it set up a little ***.
While it chills, spread the coconut flakes onto a small baking sheet and toast them in a 400 degree oven until light golden brown, about 1 -2 mins.
Once the cheesecake has set, top with additional 1 Tbsp of almond butter (if using) and toasted coconut flakes and DEVOUR.
THE NEXT BIG THING
In the world of performance enhancement every athlete and gym goer is constantly looking for the next best thing to give them and edge. Whether it be for building muscle or dropping body fat. The new go to supplements for this purpose are SARMS or selective androgen receptor modulators. Here is what a SARM will do for you in the simplest terms.
WHAT CAN A SARM DO FOR ME
Our bodies contain many different types of receptors such as the Androgen receptor. Typically, the androgen receptor will be stimulated through a process involving the hormone testosterone by using anabolic steroids. But, with SARMS, no additional testosterone is necessary to get the androgen receptors’ stimulated, which will allow the body to reap the benefits of someone on testosterone without actually needing the additional testosterone in your body. And even more interesting, many new SARMS available on the market today can be so specific that they stimulate the androgen receptor only at the tissue level, meaning they focus solely on stimulating muscle growth and nothing else. The benefits to this are astounding because you can reap the benefits similar to someone using testosterone, without any of the unwanted side effects that typically come along with testosterone usage such as acne, increased estrogen levels, change in mood, irritability, and loss of libido to name a few.
WHERE TO START
If you are interested in using something like a SARM but are not sure where to begin you need to nail down what your specific goals are. Reason being is because there are so many different SARM compounds on the market now that you may end up buying the wrong one for your personal needs. For example, if you are looking to build muscle I would recommend something like biotech’s RAD/YK-11 combo bottle. This contains two SARMs called YK-11 and RAD140. Both are excellent for putting on lean muscle and getting stronger. On the other hand if you are looking to drop body fat while increasing your performance in the gym I would recommend either GWXT from chemtech labs or Triton from Biotech. These products contain a compound called GW501516, which not only heightens your androgen receptors, they also increase your PPAR receptor activity. These PPAR receptors are responsible for lipolysis, which is your bodies’ ability to take stored body fat and use it up as an energy source. Awesome product for anyone looking to change their body shape. If you have any questions regarding SARMs please feel free to contact us below and we will be happy to help you learn more.
Alright, so it is that time of the year when every gym bro decides to do the “winter bulk” phase. Every time I hear these words it’s like nails on a chalkboard because most average gym goers think the definition of a winter bulking is eat as much as possible and lift. WRONG. Doing this will most likely have you putting on way more body fat than you ever planned on getting, and will even make your body more efficient at storing body fat due to the selection of foods you have been eating.
QUALITY OVER QUANTITY
When bulking you still need to be giving yourself quality food sources to ensure you are getting enough protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats to achieve your desired goals. Unless you have the genetics of a God this is the only true way to keep your physique somewhat together while bulking. Their are some rare cases out there where guys can put on 15-20lb and maintain a good physique, but those are one in a million. So to be sure you are going about things properly, get yourself on a proper meal plan geared toward your fitness goals. Having someone that can break things down and simplify things for you where all you need to do is execute puts you ahead of the curve that the majority of fitness minded people struggle with. In most cases, the average person has the drive and motivation to achieve their goals, the biggest problem I see is their plan is so far off from what they really need, that it’s impossible to get where they want following what they are currently doing. So for this winter season, keep the diet in check and do not use your bulking phase as an excuse to raid the fridge!
As we all try to reach our desired fitness goals it is usually good to be practical in your approach. With work, family, business and other daily activities sometimes it is just impractical to get all of your nutrition through whole foods, even thou this is the most optimal choice. That being said here are a few nutritious protein smoothie recipes you can use to get your day started on the right foot.
1.Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie-
1.5 Scoops Slim Whey Smoothie Mix
2 Tablespoons Natural Peanut Butter
4 ice cubes
8oz unsweetened almond milk or water
2. Banana Oatmeal Protein Smoothie-
1.5 scoops Slim Whey Vanilla or Chocolate, depending on base flavor preference
1 whole banana
2 Tablespoons classic Quaker Oats
8oz unsweetened almond milk
1-2 teaspoons honey
1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
4 ice cubes
3. Berry Mango Protein Smoothie
1.5 Scoops Slim Whey Vanilla
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup frozen or fresh mango
1/2 banana (optional)
8oz unsweetened almond milk
1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
2-3 ice cubes
Every year I get a lot of discussion on the subject of weight loss, and with us quickly approaching this holiday season it is getting even more exposure, so I thought I would write a quick post to help those that struggle this time of year. A lot of folks will turn to the markets’ next latest and greatest fat burner to attempt to keep their weight in check, but their are other means to doing so. The combination of CLA, or Conjugated Lineolic Acid and the amino acid L-Carnitine have been used for years as a 1-2 punch to help lose weight. This way you can avoid some of the side effects like the jitters that the fat burners can cause, and still get the results you want. L- Carnitine is an amino acid we naturally store in the body. When we supplement with additional Carnitine our bodies use it as a means of taking stored fat and using it up first as an energy source. So when dieting Carnitine can be one of the best products to use to mobilize that stored body fat. Also CLA, is a healthy fat found in dairy products that is great for keeping our blood sugar stable. By keeping our blood sugar stable we are able to reduce cravings for food and also keep our metabolism in a more steady state throughout the day, leading to better weight loss results. An easy way to get both of these products together is in a smoothie formula created by musclesport called Slim Whey. This meal replacement shake has not only been designed to help provide you with the protein and nutrition you need, but also has the CLA and Carnitine both already added to the product. So Slim Whey in essence is providing you with a low calorie meal replacement, CLA, and Carnitine all together conveniently versus having to buy the separate items. I would highly recommend this product to anyone looking to clean up their diet and kick start that metabolism to reach your weight loss goals!
So we constantly get asked this question and I wanted to write this in sort of a mass response. Simply put, yes fat burners work but only if your diet is already on point. I can not stress this enough. A fat burner will not be effective if you continue to consistently eat junk. You must first have your diet in the right place, then adding a fat burner would not be a bad option. They can help assist in increasing your energy levels, which may go down while dieting, so the increased energy can definitely be beneficial. Also, an increase in metabolism will obviously be a benefit if fat loss is the goal, and a quality fat burner can do this for you. Lastly a good fat burner usually carries some type of appetite suppressant with it, to avoid those cravings when you are trying to stay on track with your meal plan. A good suggestion for a quality fat burner would be Phenta XT. Phenta XT contains a few key herbal supplements such as geranium, synepherine, and beta phenylamine, which are all great alternatives to the old ephedra products of the late 1990’s that were so popular for fat loss. Additionally, Phenta XT comes in a timed release formula, that slowly delivers over a 12 hour interval, making it only a 1 a day dosage! For something that will actually deliver I would recommend this product as a great place to start, but remember without your diet in check you will NOT maximize your potential results!
Today’s supplement industry is filled with so many options of products and brands it can make the obvious answer to your supplement needs difficult to find. A lot of hype and marketing has been put into making most of today’s supplements rather than a solid ingredient profile. That being said here are MY top 3 most essential products to supplement with. Keep in mind everyone’s supplement needs are different based on the diet you eat, and the particular goals you have. Yes, there are products that can be considered more essential, which are what I am focusing on for my top 3, but when it comes to you as an individual understand that your top 3 should be based on your specific needs, not just what somebody tells you is good. For a better understanding of where you may be lacking nutritionally, and if you may need to consider supplementing, please feel free to contact me and I will be glad to help you. So here goes…
- Omega 3 FISH OIL- I say fish oil in big letters because fish oil contains EPA and DHA, two important fatty acids that the body can not produce by itself so it is important to supplement these in. A solid daily dose would be 1000mg of actual EPA and DHA in total per day. Make sure not to be fooled by supplement brands that put fish oil 1000 on their bottles and then only have maybe 80mg of actual EPA and DHA in their softgels. Make sure you read the nutrition facts to see what the real value is before buying.
- Whole Food Multi Vitamins- Notice here I do not simply say a multi-vitamin, because 99% of basic multi vitamins are a complete waste of money. I do believe buying a multi vitamin that actually contains the nutrients we need that are from REAL FOOD SOURCES is important. But, the problem with most vitamin brands is their vitamins are derived from synthetic sources made from petroleum and even black mold….Yes black mold. Pretty sad right? So when buying a vitamin, again buyer beware and read your nutrition facts to see where these things are from.
- Protein Powder- This last one I put on the list simply from my experience working with clients directly on their meal plans. With all the information available today I am still amazed at how low most people’s diets are in protein content as a whole. This is usually related to the fact that what people perceive as a good protein source tends to be the opposite. If you are considered very active or are an athlete of some kind, the typical recommended amount of protein per day is anywhere between .80-1.1 times your bodyweight in grams of protein per day. So in other words a 200lb person that is active should be eating between 160-220 grams of protein per day. An easy way to help get your protein in is to supplement throughout the day with protein powder. Whey protein is considered a superior source based on its amino acid profile, but if you have allergies to dairy, or are lactose intolerant, you will need to use something like pea, egg, or hemp protein instead.
Wanted to share this recipe I stumbled upon with you guys. Instead of using the typical mayo based recipe this subs in cashew cream, while adding in a few other key ingredients to make this dish extremely rich in omega 3’s and phytonutrients. Check it out.
Time in the Kitchen: 15 minutes (plus at least 4 hours to soak the cashews)
- 1 cup whole, raw, unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup water
Cashew Turmeric Chicken Salad
- 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken
- 6 tablespoons cashew cream
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons coconut aminos
- 3/4 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1 inch piece of fresh turmeric root, peeled and grated (add more, to taste, if you like)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Cracked black pepper
It’s hard to make tiny batches of cashew cream, so this recipe will make a little more than you need for the dressing. The amount of water added here makes a thick, but not stiff, cream. Add a little less water for a thicker cream or add 1 1/2 to 2 cups water to make cashew milk.
First, soak cashews at least 4 hours or overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
Put the cashews and 1/2 cup water in a high-powered blender. Blend for 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed, until the consistency is similar to whipped cream. The texture should be very creamy with no bits of nut left at all.
Cashew Turmeric Chicken Salad
Recipe Note: A microplane zester works well for grating fresh turmeric root. Fresh turmeric will stain anything it comes in contact with bright orange, so make sure to wash your grater and your hands immediately.
In a small bowl, whisk together 6 tablespoons of cashew cream, plus the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, coconut aminos, Dijon, olive oil, turmeric root, parsley and salt.
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, dressing, celery and shallot. Top the chicken salad with cracked black pepper.